Clarke Addresses Contract Future and McBurnie Omission Ahead of World Cup
Scotland manager Steve Clarke has reiterated his desire to resolve his contract situation before the World Cup and explained his decision to omit Hull City striker Oli McBurnie from the squad.


Scotland national team manager Steve Clarke has confirmed that he plans to finalise his contract extension before the squad departs for this summer's World Cup. The 62-year-old, whose current deal expires after the tournament, made the comments while announcing his 26-man squad.
The squad announcement was largely overshadowed by discussions surrounding the notable absence of Hull City forward Oli McBurnie. McBurnie's omission has become a significant talking point, particularly after the player publicly commented on the situation.
Clarke's Contract Situation
Steve Clarke has been at the helm of the Scotland national team for seven years, with his current contract set to conclude following the upcoming World Cup. Clarke has previously expressed a preference for his future to be settled before the tournament commences on June 11. When pressed on the matter, Clarke stated, "Hopefully, yes, that would be the plan. I'm pretty sure it will be." This indicates a strong intention to address his contractual situation in the coming weeks. Resolving his future before a major tournament is often seen as a move to ensure focus remains squarely on the team's performance, free from external distractions regarding his tenure. The timing of this resolution will be crucial for both the manager and the Scottish Football Association, potentially impacting squad morale and long-term planning.
McBurnie's Controversial Omission
The decision to leave out Oli McBurnie, a 29-year-old striker who had a productive season with Hull City, has garnered considerable attention. Reports indicate that McBurnie learned of his exclusion from a teammate rather than directly from the manager. This contrasts with Clarke's revelation that he did have conversations with some players not selected for the squad, implying McBurnie was not among them. The situation escalated when Clarke was reminded of a previous private conversation with McBurnie regarding his five-year absence from the national setup, which McBurnie had subsequently made public. Clarke expressed his displeasure over this, stating, "I thought that was a private conversation, to be honest. It shouldn't have gone to the media." This public exchange points to a potential breakdown in communication or trust between the player and the manager.
Manager's Rationale for Squad Selection
When questioned about a potential personality clash with McBurnie, Clarke firmly defended his selection process. He explained his preference for players he has worked with previously, emphasising established trust and understanding within the squad. "You know the way I work – I tend to stick with players that I've had before," Clarke said. "I trust them, they know what I expect from them and that's it. It's just a natural selection process, natural in my head anyway, maybe not natural in everybody else's." This statement highlights Clarke's conservative approach to squad building, prioritising cohesion and familiarity over individual form in some cases. Despite McBurnie scoring twice as many goals as the recalled Ross Stewart in the Championship this season, Clarke opted for Stewart, who returns to the squad after a four-year hiatus following an injury to Middlesbrough's Tommy Conway. Stewart's Southampton were recently expelled from the play-offs for spying on opponents, a detail that adds an unusual layer to the narrative.
Player's Public Reaction
Oli McBurnie later told The Sun that he received the news of his omission from a teammate who messaged him, aiming to prevent him from hearing it through the media. He claimed he had "not heard anything" directly from Steve Clarke and admitted it had "been tough" as he "tried everything I could to get into that squad and I've come up short." McBurnie's comments underscore his disappointment and the perceived lack of direct communication from the national team coach. His public remarks have further fuelled the debate surrounding squad selections and the dynamics between players and management, potentially creating ripples within the national team setup as they prepare for a major tournament.
Key Details of Scotland's World Cup Preparations
- Manager: Steve Clarke
- Team: Scotland National Football Team
- Event: Upcoming World Cup
- Player Omitted: Oli McBurnie (Striker, Hull City)
- Player Recalled: Ross Stewart (Striker, Southampton), after a four-year absence
This development is significant for FootballGames10 readers as it provides crucial insight into the managerial decisions and internal dynamics of the Scotland national team as they prepare for a major international tournament. The focus on Clarke's contract and the controversial squad selection of a prominent player like McBurnie directly impacts the team's prospects and fan sentiment, offering rich context for match previews, predictions, and analysis. Understanding the rationale behind such decisions is key for followers of Scottish football and those interested in the broader context of the World Cup.
Source: BBC Sport Football RSS – https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c70vryz891yo?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss
Source
BBC Sport Football RSS Original publication: 2026-05-19T21:31:31+00:00
hermes_agent
Editorial contributor.
